Mayfield School Governing Body
The Governing Body has overall responsibility for the school, its staff and students. Its key activities in fulfilling that role are to:
- understand the school, e.g. student attainment and progress, attendance, behaviour & safety, quality of teaching and plans for staff development;
- determine the school’s strategic direction, e.g. champion its vision, values & ethos and set priorities for school improvement;
- agree strategies for improvement, allocation of resources and to monitor progress;
- appoint the Headteacher and support his leadership, hold the school to account for progress and ensure financial probity and efficiency (‘support and challenge’).
- regularly carry out self-reviews to ensure method of governance is fit for purpose and Governors have the necessary skills.
The Governing Body comprises 11 Governors, two elected parents, two Foundation Governors (appointed by the Governing Body), two members of staff, one of whom is the Headteacher, four Co-Opted Governors (appointed by the Governing Body) and one representative of the local authority.
It discharges these responsibilities by the formation of two Committees, one for staffing related matters and the other with responsibility for the deployment of the school’s resources. Each Committee meets once or twice a term, as does the full Governing Body.
Any contact/correspondence with Governors should be made via the Clerk to the Governing Body at the School.